Friday, August 22, 2008

22 yards has nothing to do with cricket

"Twenty-two yards lay between me and glory. Everything stopped around me, melting into a background blur. All that mattered was me and that ball. All my vision, all my concerntration was focussed on it as it dropeed towards me. In my mind, I heard the words of Steve Heighway and the boys at the Academy. Keep the head still. Weight over the ball. Make good contact. Make the keeper work. Here goes, Bang! The ball flew away from my right foot and accelerated towards the goal. The Kop held its breath. A split-second of silence reigned, save for the sound of the net pulling at the stanchions. Bullseye! Goal! Everyone screamed it. Goal! We're through"

From StevieG's autobiography about his goal against Olympiakos.

Those words make my hair on my neck stand upright every time i read it, just like the goal itself. Nothing can make this blog holy-enough as those would do.

No comments: